Monday, November 14, 2011

Ubuntu and Unity

A lot of disquiet over the X replacement Unity. I've only briefly tried it on a netbook, and it probably translated well there with the lack of screen real estate. I think like others I would find it a bit limiting on a more powerful system or with more screen space to use. I think also I really like Ubuntu as it is now, so a big change would probably feel strange. But are Canonical making a mistake - is this all really just a misguided attempt to go after the tablet market. Linux never made it on the desktop, we should not be thinking it's going to anything but flop on the tablet. Even with all the ease of use introduced over the years (and that is mighty impressive), Linux is the preserve of geeks in the desktop space - people who care about what their laptop/PC is running.

No comments: