Sunday, November 6, 2011

Alex Ferguson 25 Years at Man Utd

I am by no means a Man Utd fan, but you have to recognise his achievement for being in charge for that long.

I was much more into football early into his reign and I was reading today that his 1989-90 season was the one with the lowest win ratio (only 41%). I remember the FA cup game away at Nottingham Forest where they scraped a 1-0 win courtesy of a well taken Mark Robbins goal. It is often cited as the game that kept him his job, but I think that is perhaps a little exaggerated.

Of course they went on to win the FA cup against Crystal Palace in the final, Palace having knocked out Liverpool in the semi final. I remember really enjoying those games.

So after a 25 year reign, and having built successive teams football is very different now. In the current context the best comment I read today was Mourinho builds a team for now (at the expense of tomorrow), Wenger builds a team for tomorrow (at the expense of today), only Ferguson builds a team for now and tomorrow.

No comments: