Thursday, November 19, 2009

Windows 7

I've not had much direct experience of Vista, having used it for about an hour in total setting up a laptop. Now I got the chance to do an upgrade from a new laptop from Vista to Windows 7.

It all went pretty smoothly, I have to say Microsoft have improved their O/S installation a lot over the years. Vista already installed did feel a little sluggish, and there's no excuse for that on the hardware involved.

So doing an install means I get to choose what I want to have on the machine, i.e. drop all the crapware that keeps on bringing up pop ups insisting on attention. Even so the amount of things that want to put a toolbar in the browser for you is annoying and I can see why normal users get bemused by it all.

I did play for a bit with Windows 7 itself, a few neat bits of UI - easy sizing of windows, the docking of windows on the taskbar. Nothing major though, I think Microsoft may have just rescued itself with this release.

No comments: