Friday, November 20, 2009

EU Presidency

I thought for the first time I saw the reason for this greater European integration. Politicians can absolve themselves of all that rather tedious getting elected because people want you to govern.

I would actually consider myself mildly pro-European, but the whole presidency thing with Blair and now some complete unknowns taking the reigns really makes me wonder on the democratic angle of it all. Brown was asked just this in a press conference and could only weakly say "well you've elected the 12 nations leaders, and we get to decide". Thanks do we need another House of Lords type arrangement?

A great mis-attributed quote as well from Henry Kissinger:

"Who do I call if I want to speak to Europe?"

Well just some also ran non elected representatives, is that alright?

No comments: