Friday, January 3, 2020

BBC Sounds searching (google search operators)

I've always found the browser based search on the BBC websites to be pretty terrible.

It's especially noticeable on things like iPlayer and BBC sounds where you are trying to hunt down a title that is maybe not precise.

Google has some search operators which help:

https://ahrefs.com/blog/google-advanced-search-operators/


In my case I wanted to find a Clive James series, so we can restrict the search with "site" and then further restrict to the url "sounds"

site:www.bbc.co.uk inurl:sounds unreliable memoirs

Finding this directly in Sounds was almost impossible!

Of course it is getting more complicated to download the file for offline use - something the BBC try to hide away (I can't always stream stuff, so this is essential for me).  As a license fee payer I see this as a right not an optional extra at their discretion.

But the excellent get_iplayer can be used to download the programme pids from the catalogue.




No comments: