Friday, August 19, 2011

RBS Shares

I've had a SIPP for a few years, at first I mopped up all my under performing old pension pots and put them into this investment.

Not that I can think I can do better, but more that if I am going to lose the money then I am more than capable of doing it myself - and I can have some investing fun in the process.

That was about 2 years ago, I've bought some shares and some funds recently. But for the most part it has been difficult to invest - I just can't understand what is keeping the stock market so high. Companies are generally doing well, but more making money out of saving money and being more efficient - and there is only so much of that you can do.

But there has now been some market "turmoil", so there was a buying opportunity. While investing in some sensible prospects I decided to throw a small amount of money at the ailing RBS. So a bank going through a hard time - the government announced recently that it could see the break even point at selling off it's stake. That was around 65p not the rather sad 20p of today's prices. I'm hoping they can ride the storm and not go the way of HBOS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HBOS

A forced takeover target in the last credit crunch.

No comments: