Monday, January 28, 2008

McJob Qualifications

Today's announcement that some businesses will be offering training that will end up with A-level equivalent qualifications came as a bit of a surprise.

I'm all for it. Having followed a fairly traditional degree I would say that route is unsuitable for most people - and in no way do I mean they are not capable, it is simply of no use. Yet the governments for the last 20 years have tried to inflate the numbers of graduates. That itself isn't a problem, what you were teaching them is.

I won't get into "easy" and "hard" degrees, truth be told a degree in Physics could be truly useless unless applied in the right career. I always thought the smarter people were the ones who knew it paid to study something which had some outside application. Although you can make an argument for degrees showing you have an aptitude for learning.

And this announcement today seems to indicate this is what employers are thinking. Given the state of education, I always think to myself could private enterprise do any better (it won't ever cover the numbers of course).

The downside? Well don't expect said hamburger firm to teach a course on healthy balanced diets.

No comments: