Sunday, November 18, 2007

Gambling Advertising

If you watch any TV you can't help but see the increase in advertising for gambling activities. First it was slightly subtle, sporting events like snooker and cricket would carry in game advertising (presumably filling the void the cigarette companies left behind). But are we just replacing one addiction with another? Ok it won't kill you but it could ruin your life.

Now the stakes have been increased so to speak. I think it's now legal for mainstream adverts for the high street bookies. So we see ex-footballers advertising Ladbrookes for example. Nowhere in this advertising have I see some logic like "for every winner there is a loser", along the lines of financial companines having to say investments can rise and fall. It maybe there but I've not seen it yet ;)

So far I've let it pass me by, people should be allowed to make their decisions. Then I thought of a potential future where your online banking was partnered with a poker room - surely that day will come.

No comments: